- Can I change my accent?
- Yes, with time and practice, our clients have huge success in changing their accents. Some manage to completely lose their accent altogether, while some just want to speak more clearly in English. It doesn’t matter how old you are, or how long you have been speaking English or living in Britain, with Speak Easily’s help you’ll be capable of reducing your accent.How much you can change depends on a few different factors, as with any new skill: some people just have more natural ability than others and find it easier; people who practice daily make greater and faster changes; if you continue practicing over a long time period, your new speech will become a habit and you’ll do it without thinking.
- How can I change my accent?
- Well, it’s an odd thing, but in reality you are going to lose your accent by learning another one. To reduce or soften your current accent, you simply re-train your speech sounds when speaking English until they sound more like the sounds we use for RP English. If you achieve this a little, then you will have softened your accent: you may still have some of the elements of your original accent, but you will be closer to standard English and therefore a little easier for British, and other non-native people to understand. If you achieve this completely, you will start to sound like an English person who naturally speaks RP!
- How long will it take to change my accent?
- Remember, you’ve been speaking the way you do since childhood, so it won’t be an instant fix. We’ll focus the work on what will make the most dramatic improvement first. If you practice at home and apply what you learn in daily communications you will start to make small changes straight away and after several months you should make significant changes that stay with you the rest of your life.
- Why do you have mixed language groups, not accent specific groups?
Because it works better! We used to run language-specific groups alongside our mixed groups and our mixed groups always did better. We think the reason for this is four-fold.
- Firstly, languages that are geographically close are not necessarily all that similar when it comes to the individual habits of speakers. Our coaches are highly skilled and will teach you as an individual, focusing on the very precise changes you personally need to make.
- Secondly, it is important to break out of your comfort zone and be challenged to hear and produce sounds that are completely unfamiliar to you. The presence of many other students with the same or a similar accent to you can actually encourage you not to change, and to stay with what you are already doing.
- Thirdly, exposure to all the different language systems in a mixed group is very educational. You begin to understand that your original language is not ‘how languages work’, but in fact just how one language works, yours.
- Lastly, you are all learning the same accent and the major target sounds and details of the RP English accent are the same for everyone
Also, it is very enjoyable to meet such a wide range of people and that good energy speeds the work on.
- Who are the coaches?
- Every one of Speak Easily’s coaches has a Masters degree in Voice from the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, the world’s leading qualification for voice and accent coaches. When Hollywood, stage and TV actors need to change their accent, they only work with voice and accent coaches.MA qualified voice and accent coaches are the only people with the full range of technical, academic and practical skills to ensure easy and permanent accent change. They have an advanced knowledge of phonetics and how it applies to 100s of different accents, including your own. They have extraordinary ‘ears’ for accents, and the ability to transform what they hear you do into precise, practical instructions to help you change it. They will help you move speech muscles you didn’t even know that you had!